Substance that have addictive properties are quite numerous. However, these numerous substances have not been tried by most people. Also, people who have tried them, does not really abuse them or get dependent. The reason is due to the differences on people in terms of vulnerability to substance-related disorders matter. This can be proved by many theories .
For many years, getting addicted to the drugs and alcohol was considered to be a result of deficiencies on morality. Drug and alcohol addicts were simply perceived as weak, bad people who would not exert control over their impulses. Since 1960s, that view has largely been replaced by the disease model of addiction, which views drug and alcohol addiction as an incurable physical disease, like epilepsy or diabetes. This model has been supported somewhat by research on the genetics and biology of drug and alcohol addiction, but there clearly are social and psychological forces that make some people more prone to these disorders than are others. There are biological, social, and psychological factors that increase people’s vulnerability to substance abuse and dependence.
When we talk about biological theories, it is one of the most prominent in the literature on substance- related disorders. This can be attributed to three reasons. First, there are many theorists that attribute the vulnerability to these disorders to one’s heredity. Second, people who become substance dependent or abusive may react in a different way physiologically to substances than those who become dependent or abusive. Third, some theorists have argued that drug and alcohol addiction really represents an underlying biological depression. These are drug and alcohol facts which may aid us to comprehend how it has thrive in our lives and in our society. There are still many drug and alcohol facts to help and warn us against its effects. Let us try knowing them one by one.
• Effects of addictive drugs can never be expected.
• Drug addiction can lead to death.
• Treatment for drug addiction can be a tedious and gruesome process.
• The production and selling of drugs are illegal in most countries.
• There are many over the counter drugs that are abused by many people.
• There are differences in drug tolerance.
• On most aspects, the effects of alcohol are negative.
• A depressant on one’s nervous system is how alcohol works on our body.
• Alcohol has short term effects.
• A small amount of alcohol can have a great effect on an individual.
• Alcohol should never be consumed with medications.
• Alcoholism can be hereditary.
• Alcohol can cause major damage to the brain.
• A person should never drink with an empty stomach.
• There is a high chance for an individual to become an alcoholic if his or her parents have histories of alcohol addiction.
• Alcohol can cause major damage to the liver.
• A whole lot of money is used in a yearly consumption of alcohol in every country.
• Alcohol addict doubles the amount of drug addicts.
• According to several research studies, violence can likely happen when there is presence of alcohol use.
• There are more people who are addicted to alcohol than people who are addicted to drugs.
• Deaths due to drunk driving is increasing every year.
Drug and alcohol facts should be known in order for people to think before ingesting them.