A person in the pits of chemical dependency or in any kind of disorder will sooner or later want to recover. What would you do if this person is someone close to you? What more if you are this person?
Currently, with the rising of many different disorders, many treatment centers have been sprouting. Usually, this management centers would entail you to admit yourself in an institution where you can be observed by your attending physician. You receive no participation from the outside world, leaving your work or whatever it is that you do in idle.
One of the very problems admission to an institution is how would one get back on his or her normal routine. This is where Intensive Outpatient Program comes in.
What is Intensive Outpatient Program or IOP? It is a program that is being used highly as a treatment service. It is a treatment service for individuals who wants to get out from the problems of substance abuse. This kind of clinical service has been developed throughout the early 1900s as a way of response to the popular managed care institutions. In this kind of program, the patient is given a more severe level of treatment against to the level of treatment that was usually available for outpatients.
How does IOP works? Usually, there is one physician leading individuals being grouped together. Usually, the group meets with the physician 2 to 5 times a week for 2 to 3 hours at a time. In this kind of program, the patient and the physician work hand in hand to attain successful treatment. The patient is being asked on her goals and objectives which will be integrated by the physician on the patient’s treatment plan. This working hand in hand forms sensation of control not just for the physician but also for the patient. The perception of being in control creates an optimistic outlook according to various studies. In most cases, positive outlook leads to positive results.
IOP carries many advantages. Aside from giving the patient treatment while not taking them away from their normall routine, it also boosts management of stress, compliance in treatment, achieving goals, and coping skills. Also, this program also looks into the association between the patient and the family. The way of treatment in this program is what makes it more special. It looks into the unique need of the individual. One can always find an IOP program that is suitable for his or her special needs.
An IOP program can contain as many ingredients as possible. However, familiar programs can always include the following:
• The Counseling of the Individual. In this program, a counselor is being allotted to an individual that would cater for his or her recovery.
• The Counseling of the Family. One of the most affected in an individual’s disorder is its own family. In this type of IOP program, the relatives will be knowledgeable about the disorder being inflicted on their loved one. Thus in the course, makes a supportive relationship for the patient.
• Group Counseling. In group counseling, the patient will not feel alone in the fight to recover.
• Disorder Education. The patient and the family are given here diverse workshops and knowledge regarding whatever disorder they are facing and the how can they be able to recover.
• 12 Step Programs. This is the very famous program known for its use of the 12 steps.
Currently, there are quite a number of specialists who argue that IOP is more helpful than individual therapies especially in substance abuse or chemical dependency treatment. Although on an remarkable note, IOP can also be used on another type of problems such as eating disorders and so on. However, the thing that really matters is that for the individual to recover. After all, in this kind of difficulty, you can never tell when you will be afflicted.
Intensive Outpatient Program can work on anybody despite their unique needs.